Iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia have been associated with a number of clinical consequences:
- decreased memory, impaired learning and concentration
- impaired immune function
- decreased aerobic sports performance
- decreased work productivity
- adverse pregnancy outcomes:
- increased risk of low birth weight
- increased risk of prematurity
- increased risk of maternal morbidity
- infant motor and mental function delay
- increased risk of transfusion and associated outcomes
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia. Clinical update: Iron deficiency, First Edition. Sydney, Australia, Digestive Health Foundation, 2008. Available from: http://www.gesa.org.au.
- Pasricha SR, Flecknoe-Brown SC, Allen KJ, Gibson PR, McMahon LP, Olynyk JK, et al. Diagnosis and management of iron deficiency anaemia: a clinical update. MJA 2010;193:525–532. Available from: http://www.mja.com.au.